About The VLIR-UOS Scholarship – The VLIR-UOS scholarship program is a scholarship initiative supported by the Belgian government and sponsored by the Flemish Interuniversity Council (VLIR-UOS). It provides scholarships to students from underdeveloped nations to pursue master’s degrees and training programs in Flanders, Belgium. The VLIR-UOS (Flemish Interuniversity Council—University Development Cooperation) project is one of Belgium’s most important sources of academic and research financing and exchange.ScholarshipBoard
The VLIR-UOS scholarship program is affiliated with numerous Belgian Flemish universities. The VLIR-UOS program is regularly attended by the following Flanders institutions:
- University of Antwerp (Universiteit Antwerpen)
- Ghent University (Universiteit Gent)
- Hasselt University (Universiteit Hasselt)
- KU Leuven / University of Leuven (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven)
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)
Level of study: Masters and Research
Field of Study
VLIR-UOS supports a selection of 10 initial and 5 advanced master programs. Check the list below:
One-year master programs
- Master of Human Settlements
- Master of Development Evaluation and Management
- Master of Governance and Development
- Master of Globalization and Development
- Master of Cultural Anthropology and Development Studies
- Master of Science in Food Technology
- Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management
- Master of Aquaculture (IMAQUA)
- Master of Epidemiology
- Master of Agro-and Environmental Nematology
- Master of Rural Development
- Master of Statistics
- Master of Water Resources Engineering
- Master of Sustainable Development
- Master of Transportation Sciences
Number of Scholarships: 180
Acceptance rate: Not Specified
VLIR-UOS Scholarship Value/Inclusions
The VLIR-UOS scholarships cover the following:
- Allowance of 1 150 euros per month;
- Travel costs 150 euros (one-off payment);
- Logistics allowance 850 or 700 euros (one-time payment);
- Travel costs related to the program (one-time payment);
- Insurance 40 euros per month;
- Plane ticket (lowest fares) 1 ticket for Belgium, one ticket for the country of origin, economy class (per scholarship);
- Standard tuition fees for full enrolment in a master’s program (per academic year).
The scholarship is open to citizens from partner countries. The list of partner countries includes:
1. VLIR-UOS partner country list:
Benin, Bolivia, Burundi, Cuba, DR Congo, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Philippines, Indonesia, Kenya, Morocco, Peru, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, and Vietnam.
2. VLIR-UOS scholarship/GM country list:
Benin, Bolivia, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroun, Cuba, DR Congo, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Guinea, Haiti, Indonesia, Kenya, Madagascar, Morocco, Mozambique, Nicaragua, Niger, Peru, Philippines, Palestina, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam, and Zimbabwe.
Eligibility for the VLIR UOS Scholarship
If you meet the following requirements, you can apply for a VLIR-UOS scholarship:
- The candidate must be a national and resident of one of the nations listed.
- The maximum age for a master’s program applicant is 35 for an initial master’s and 45 for an advanced master’s. This age cannot be exceeded by the candidate on the first of January of the admission year.
- Priority is given to candidates who work in academic institutions, research institutes, governments, the social economy, or non-governmental organizations (NGOs), or who want to work in one of these sectors. However, depending on their motivation and profile, master candidates working in the for-profit sector or newly graduated candidates with no work experience may also be eligible for the scholarship.
- A candidate can only apply for one VLIR-UOS scholarship per year, regardless of the type of scholarship. As a result, each candidate is only eligible for one VLIR-UOS scholarship each year.VLIR-UOS Scholarship 2023 Application Form, Eligibility, How To Apply
VLIR-UOS Scholarship Step-by-Step Application Guide
- To apply for a Master’s program, go to the website of the program of interest. Follow the application guidelines for the programme as outlined on its website.
- You can indicate if you want to apply for a scholarship in your programme application. If you do, the programme coordinator will forward your application to VLIR-UOS.
- Applications sent directly to VLIR-UOS by candidates will not be accepted!
The outcomes of the selection of program organizers will be presented to the VLIR-UOS board. Selected candidates, as well as those on the waiting list, will be contacted via email.
The VLIR-UOS Scholarship application deadlines vary depending on the candidate’s selected program, but they are typically between February and March 2023. Check the scholarship’s official page for more information on the scholarship.