About the MEXT Scholarship – The MEXT Scholarship, also known as the Monbukagakusho Scholarship, is an effort of the Japanese government’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) to provide scholarships to international students desiring to study in Japan.ScholarshipBoard
Recipients can study at a variety of educational institutions around Japan, including national universities and select private colleges.
Level of study: Undergraduate, Masters, Ph.D., Training
Field of Study
The field of study includes all types of studies available at all Japanese universities, ranging from social science to engineering, medicine to health, arts, and humanities, and so on. There are no restrictions on academic fields.
Number of Scholarships: Not Specified
Acceptance rate: Not Specified
MEXT Scholarship Value/Inclusions
MEXT Scholarship 2024 is a fully funded scholarship that allows international students to study for free in Japan. The following benefits will be provided to the scholarship recipient:
- Allowances: Stipend Allowance Monthly, Preparatory Allowance (2024 Rate)
- Education Fees: MEXT will pay the fees for the Entrance Examination and Tuition Fee at Universities.MEXT Scholarship 2024 Application Form, Eligibility, How To Apply
- Travel Expenses: Transportation to Japan: MEXT will cover your round-trip airfare from your home country to Japan. For the flight, the airline ticket will be in Economy class.
- Accommodations: University residence halls provide housing for international students.
Target Group: All Nationalities
Eligibility for the MEXT Scholarship
To be eligible for the MEXT Scholarship, candidates must meet all of the following requirements:
- English is the required language.
- All countries in the world are eligible.
- Applicants must be citizens of a country with which Japan has diplomatic ties.
- Applicants with Japanese nationality at the time of application are ineligible.
- Undergraduate Students: You must be at least 17 years old and under 25 years old, and you must have finished 12 years of school education or courses in a school comparable to a high school (including prospective graduates).
- Masters and PhD students must be under the age of 35 and a college graduate (including prospective graduates). Alternatively, you must have completed 16 / 18 years of study.
- You must be under 35 years old and a graduate of a college or teacher training college to be eligible for teacher training. You must have at least five years of active teaching experience in your country, either in a primary, secondary, or teacher training institution.
- Applicants for Japanese Study must be between the ages of 18 and 30. Applicants must be enrolled as undergraduate students in faculties or schools that specialize in Japanese language or Japanese culture at a university outside of Japan when they come to Japan, and they must be enrolled in their home institutions when they return.
- MEXT Scholarship Application Form
- The highest degree verified with official stamps
- The highest degree transcript verified with official stamps (including grading system)
- Two recommendation letters
- Passport Scan
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Study plan/Statement of purpose
- English Language Proficiency Document
- Academic thesis or relevant publications
- Other reference documents
MEXT Scholarship Step-by-Step Application Guide
To apply for the MEXT Scholarship, please follow the steps outlined below:
- From this page, you may locate the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country.
- Visit the website of your country’s Japanese embassy. The MEXT scholarship can be found under the Education/Scholarship tab.
- Fill out the MEXT scholarship application form after downloading it.
- Submit the necessary documents (listed below) to the Japanese Embassy in your country.
- The Japanese Embassy will administer a written examination.
- Following that, the candidates will be interviewed.
- The successful candidates will be notified via email or the embassy website.
The MEXT Scholarship deadline varies from Embassy to Embassy. Check your Embassy to see the specific deadline date.
Click on the MEXT Scholarship official website for more details on the scholarship.