About the UNHCR DAFI Scholarship – The UNHCR DAFI (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative) scholarship initiative allows qualified refugee and returnee students to pursue an undergraduate degree in their nation of asylum or home country. When situations are conducive to voluntary repatriation, the goal is to encourage self-reliance and empowerment for refugees, allowing them to finish their studies and contribute to their host communities and home nations. The DAFI scholarship scheme is one of five key pillars of the goal to achieve 15% enrollment of young refugee women and men in higher education by 2030.ScholarshipBoard
The precise universities that serve as host institutions for DAFI scholars can vary greatly between countries.
Level of study: Undergraduate Degree
Field of Study: The DAFI program is open to a broad range of undergraduate disciplines.
Number of Scholarships: Not Specified
Acceptance rate: Not Specified
UNHCR Scholarship Value/Inclusions
Depending on the design and needs of the respective country project, the DAFI project may cover a variety of costs, which may include:
- Tuition/Registration Fees: The scholarship covers the majority of registration and tuition fees. Many countries charge refugees the same tuition as national students. In others, refugees are obliged to pay international student fees, which are frequently significantly more. In most cases, registration and tuition costs are paid directly to the university.
- Allowance: Students receive a subsistence allowance to cover expenditures such as housing, food, books and study supplies, and local transportation. Allowances are determined based on cost of living assessments for the program site, with adjustments made to account for changes in circumstances over the study time. The housing allowance is designed to cover the costs of safe, suitable living on or near the university campus. Accommodation is not paid for students who live with their families or in other in-kind arrangements. The daily travel allowance between the institution and home, or to an internship or research site, is covered by the local travel allowance. Healthcare services are also provided, either through existing healthcare systems or through university/campus medical and health services.
- Student activities: DAFI program participation frequently involves a variety of student activities, leadership opportunities, internship support, networking, training and educational events, volunteering, and community engagement activities.
UNHCR Scholarship Target Group
The UNHCR Scholarship operates in some countries and they are as follows:
- Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea Bissau, Guinea Conakry, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- The Americas: Ecuador, Mexico.
- Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Islamic Republic of Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan.UNHCR Scholarship For Refugee 2023 Application Form – How To Apply
- Europe: Azerbaijan, Serbia, Russian Federation, Ukraine, Republic of Türkiye.
- The Middle East & Northern Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Mauritania, Morocco, Syria, Yemen.
Eligibility Requirements for the UNHCR Scholarship
Selection criteria include:
- Academic merit;
- No means of financial support for university studies;
- Proficiency in the language of instruction;
- Demonstrated commitment to community engagement.
Other aspects to take into account throughout selection are:
- Disruption of prior tertiary level study due to displacement;
- Gender parity;
- Inclusion of diverse applicants – including with respect to location, ethnic, religious, and gender orientation.
Those that are not eligible for the program are:
- Individuals with an advanced resettlement process;
- Individuals above 28 years of age (exceptions may be made depending on circumstances);
- Individuals who already hold a tertiary or higher-level degree.
UNHCR Scholarship Step-by-Step Application Guide
- Verify that there is a DAFI Programme in your country of asylum.
- Confirm that you meet the above-mentioned criteria.
- Contact the respective UNHCR country office to receive a country-specific application form.
- Complete the application form and submit it as indicated with supporting documents.
NOTE: Applications may not be submitted to UNHCR offices in Geneva or Copenhagen.
The deadline for the UNHCR DAFI Scholarship typically varies by country and year. Each country’s local UNHCR office or the partner organizations implementing the DAFI program will set specific application deadlines based on the academic calendar, program priorities, and other logistical considerations.