About the KAAD Scholarship – The German KAAD Scholarship for postgraduate international students is currently open for applications for 2024, and thus the application window for the KAAD Scholarship is now open for accepting applications. This will be a great opportunity for interested students who wish to complete their postgraduate degrees in Germany for free.
The KAAD (Katholischer Akademischer Ausländer-Dienst or Catholic Academic Exchange Service) scholarship is a well-known German program that helps post-graduate students and scientists from Asia, Africa, the Middle East, and Latin America study or conduct research at German universities.
Host Institution: German Universities and Higher Education Institutions
Level of study: Masters and PhD Degree
Field of Study
There is no particular subject preference. However, the screening committee has frequently given preference to courses and subjects that they consider important for the applicant’s native nation.
Number of Scholarships: Not Specified
Acceptance rate: Not Specified
KAAD Scholarship Value/Inclusions
The KAAD Scholarship 2023–24 is a fully financed grant available to individuals studying postgraduate degree programmes in Germany.ScholarshipBoard
The scholarship also includes the following benefits:
- covers the complete postgraduate programme’s tuition.
- provides a monthly stipend based on the cost of living.
- includes travel compensation for getting to and from Germany.
- Before the programme begins, a German language course is available.
- provides health insurance coverage.
- provides the opportunity to take part in academic and cultural events.
Citizens of selected developing or emerging African, Asian, Middle Eastern, or Latin American nations are eligible for the KAAD scholarship. The list of selected countries is as follows:
- Africa: Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zimbabwe
- Asia: Bangladesh, China, Indonesia, Myanmar, the Philippines, and Vietnam
- Middle East: Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine/Israel, and Syria
- Latin America: Mexico, Guatemala, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, and Argentina
- Eastern European: Albania, Armenia, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzogovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Georgia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovakia, and Ukraine
Eligibility for the KAAD Scholarship
The German KAAD operates three scholarship programs: the S1 program for candidates who apply from their home countries for studies in Germany; the S2 program for candidates who are already in Germany; and the Eastern European Program for citizens of Eastern European countries.
You can apply for KAAD’s Scholarship 1 program if you:
- be from a developing or emerging African, Asian, Middle Eastern, or Latin American country
- possess a university diploma and professional experience in your own nation
- You wish to pursue a master’s or PhD degree at a German institution or conduct a post-doctoral research study (2–6 months for established university teachers) at a German university.KAAD Scholarship 2023 Application, Eligibility, Deadline, How To Apply
- are a Catholic Christian (or belong to a Christian denomination in general). Candidates of different faiths are welcome to apply, provided they are recommended by Catholic partners and can demonstrate their commitment to interreligious dialogue.
- have prior knowledge of the German language (KAAD can give a 6-month language course in Germany).
You can apply for the Scholarship 2 program if you:
- are from a developing or emerging country in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, or Latin America.
- Are already enrolled at a German university and have been for at least ten months.
- Interested in pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree at a German university (applicants for master’s programs may submit their documents as early as the final semester of their bachelor’s programs)
- Are a Catholic Christian (or, in the case of candidates from the Middle East, a member of another Christian religion) Candidates from other religions are welcome to apply, provided they are recommended by Catholic partners and can demonstrate a commitment to interreligious dialogue.
- Possess German language skills (at least on a general level).
You can apply for the Eastern European Program if you meet the following requirements:
- are a candidate from a Middle Eastern or Southeast European country, a Caucasian country, or a Central Asian country
- have excellent German language skills
- are Catholic Christians (or belong to another Christian denomination) Candidates of other faiths may apply if they are recommended by Catholic partners and can demonstrate their commitment to interreligious dialogue.
KAAD Scholarship Step-by-Step Application Guide
- Download the application form from the KAAD Scholarships website.
- Fill out all of the required sections of the application forms.
- Fill out the application form and include all relevant documentation.
- Applicants would be given a questionnaire to complete and submit online.
Applications for the September selection need to be completed by June 30th. Applications for the March selection need to be completed by January 15th.
It is important to visit the official website for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.