About the Boren Scholarship – The Boren Scholarship is an education expense scholarship provided by the United States National Security Education Program Initiative. This financial aid is only accessible to undergraduate students in the United States who want to study outside the country like in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Eurasia, and Latin America.ScholarshipBoard
This scholarship is purposely to aid the country’s national security arena as students awarded with this scholarship are ordained to work with the federal government in the security department at least for a year after their graduation. The scholarship is also to promote long-term cultural immersion of scholars. Simultaneously with their study, scholars must also formally learn the appropriate foreign language.
The scholarship is being hosted by the National Security Education Program initiative of the United States of America.
The Boren Scholarship offers substantial financial support to recipients, with awards ranging from $8,000 to $25,000 for a single academic year. This generous funding covers a variety of expenses associated with international study, including tuition, travel, living costs, and language study programs. It is worth noting that the Boren Scholarship is unique in that it requires recipients to commit to a service requirement upon graduation. This service component mandates that scholars work in a federal government agency with a national security focus for at least one year, contributing their acquired language and cultural skills to advance U.S. interests.
The Boren Scholarship is tailored for American undergraduate and graduate students who possess a keen interest in international affairs, foreign languages, and cultures. It is ideal for those who aspire to become future leaders in fields related to national security, diplomacy, international business, or public service. While the scholarship welcomes applicants from diverse academic backgrounds, it particularly seeks individuals with a strong commitment to advancing U.S. interests and security through cross-cultural understanding and proficiency in less commonly taught languages.
Requirements and eligibility
To be eligible for the Boren Scholarship 2024, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- U.S. Citizenship: Applicants must be U.S. citizens at the time of application.
- Enrollment in an Accredited Institution: Candidates must be enrolled in or applying to an accredited U.S. institution of higher education at the time of application.
- Academic Excellence: Applicants should demonstrate a strong academic record and the potential to succeed in their chosen study abroad program.
- Language Study: The Boren Scholarship prioritizes the study of less commonly taught languages. Therefore, applicants must select a language of study that is critical to U.S. national security interests but is not commonly taught in the United States.
- Study Location: Applicants must propose a study program in a country or region critical to U.S. national security. These regions typically include areas in Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East.Boren Scholarship 2024
- Commitment to Service: Successful applicants commit to a federal government service requirement. They must work in a federal agency with national security responsibilities for at least one year within three years of graduation.
How to apply for the Boren Scholarship
There are basically two distinct ways to apply for the Boren Scholarship. Applying as an independent individual and applying through an academic institution. It is more advisable to apply through one’s school since only students at a 4years institution are allowed to apply.
To apply through your school, all you have to do is meet up with your school’s Boren Scholarship Representatives. Each school with interest in the scholarship chooses Representatives who see to their students’ applications for the scholarship. The school representatives have their laid down process and well-established procedures which usually differ in each school.
Basically, to apply through your school, you will need to meet the school representatives for application.
To apply as an independent individual, the first step you will need to take is to visit the initiative’s official website. Click on ” Boren Scholarship” to visit the initiative’s official website. The website is very much intuitive and you won’t be having any problem with navigating it. You will be required to fill out an application form and upload documents. Let’s list the things you are going to need for the application for easy reference.
- Basic information like name, Gmail, phone numbers, institution, and others
- Contact information
- Educational background
- Uploading of transcript
- Work Experience or employment history
- An essay on why should fund your study abroad.
- An essay on the country’s national security situation
- An essay on the country’s public service
- 2 to 3 letters of recommendation from Prestigious persons or institutions
- Language self-assessment.
The Scholarship Deadline
The official deadline for the scholarship application is on the 1st of February, 2024. The shortlisted candidates will be contacted shortly after the deadline. The deadline for the Boren Scholarship application typically falls in late January or early February each year. However, it’s crucial to check the official Boren Scholarship website or contact your institution’s Boren Campus Representative for the exact deadline for the Boren Scholarship 2024 application cycle, as deadlines may vary slightly from year to year. It’s recommended to start preparing and working on your application well in advance to meet the deadline and ensure your eligibility for this prestigious opportunity.
You can send a mail to the board in charge of the scholarship. Their mailing address is Boren Scholarships and Fellowships Institute of International Education 1400 K Street, 7th floor, NW, Washington DC, 20005-2403. You can send an email to them at email@example.com. Their Telephone number is 1-800-618-NSEP (6737).