About the African Leadership Academy (ALA) Pre-University Diploma Scholarship: The African Leadership Academy (ALA) which is in Johannesburg, offers a prominent two-year pre-university scholarship programme for bright African students with leadership potential. This complete scholarship covers the entire cost of attending this advanced secondary academy, empowering promising young people to become change agents.ScholarshipBoard
Fred Swaniker launched ALA in 2004 to develop a new generation of African leaders. ALA finds and prepares high-achieving young leaders from throughout the continent for global institutions by providing world-class secondary education. The scholarship program makes this available to eligible students regardless of financial circumstances.
Host Institution: African Leadership Academy, South Africa
Level of study: Pre-University Diploma
Field of Study
The program is intended to generate ethical leaders with the ability to influence Africa’s socioeconomic progress. ALA blends Cambridge academics with entrepreneurial, leadership, and African studies courses. Students might concentrate on Entrepreneurial Leadership, African Studies, or Computer Science.
Number of Scholarships: Not Specified
Acceptance rate: Not Specified
African Leadership Academy Scholarship Value/Inclusions
The ALA scholarship is a full scholarship that covers:
- Tuition and instructional materials
- Accommodation and meals
- Textbooks and supplies
- Transportation for supervised events
- Full medical coverage
- Weekly stipend
- Visa application expenses
- Economy class return air ticket
This allows recipients to study at ALA regardless of financial circumstances.
Target Group: The scholarship is open to students who are from African countries
Eligibility for the African Leadership Academy Scholarship
An ideal candidate for the African Leadership Academy possesses:
- Academic achievement, leadership potential, and a clear sense of purpose.
Is normally between the ages of 15 and 18, and has either completed or is about to complete high school.
- Admission to ALA is both open and competitive. Many people believe that the minimum grade requirements in a national or international examination are the most essential component in an admissions decision, but this is simply one of the numerous variables that our admissions staff considers. We do not have set minimum grades; instead, we analyze academic reports from the last two years of high school to better understand a candidate’s academic trajectory and assess their readiness to thrive in a difficult setting like ALA.
- Along with the brief essays in the application, we examine leadership activities, extracurricular activities, volunteerism, projects begun, and other such activities. If a student has regularly performed well in their prior school (even if they were not at the top of their class), they have a good probability of being admitted to ALA.
- The application form asks students to consider how they want to be changemakers in the future and what they have already done to get there. We will need two full years of academic term results, as well as a completed application form.
- Every year, from June to December, applications are accepted. ALA has an equal admissions opportunity policy, with males receiving 50% of available spots and girls receiving 50%.
African Leadership Academy Scholarship Step-by-Step Application Guide
- Navigate to the ALA website and navigate to the Admissions page. Look for and click on the scholarship application link.
- Register your email address and create a password to create an account.
- You will see the online scholarship application form once you have logged in. Begin accurately filling out your personal information, academic background, activities, and achievements.
- Short answer questions and essays are used to measure your leadership abilities, passions, and aspirations. Prepare your responses carefully, using examples and anecdotes. Respect the word limit.
- Upload scanned copies of your transcripts, certificates, recommendation letters, passport photo page, and, if available, English proficiency scores.
- You can save and change your application as many times as you like before submitting it. Before submitting, make sure that all sections are filled out.
- You cannot make any changes to the application once it has been submitted. You will be notified via email that your application has been received.
- If your application is chosen for further consideration, you will be required to take an online entrance exam. The exam measures your academic abilities in arithmetic, English, critical thinking, and leadership.
- Shortlisted candidates are also invited to panel interviews to further assess their scholarship candidature.
- If you are admitted, you must accept or decline the scholarship offer online before the deadline.African Leadership Academy (ALA) Pre-University Diploma Scholarship Program
- Upload any outstanding supporting documents and confirm your enrollment to be accepted.
The deadline for the submission of the African Leadership Academy Scholarship 2024 application is 15th January 2024. Check the scholarship’s official website for more details.