About the IBM Ph.D. Scholarship: The IBM Ph.D. Scholarship is a fully funded two-year programme that is centered on important research areas of interest for IBM. IBM Ph.D. Fellowship Program collaborates with faculty, students, and universities to recognise and support exceptional Ph.D. students that address focused areas of interest in technology. The IBM Ph.D. Fellowship Awards Programme honors exceptional Ph.D. students who have an interest in solving problems that are important to IBM and fundamental to innovation in many areas of study.
Host Institution: Universities Worldwide
Level of Study: Ph.D. Degree
Field of Study
The following are fields that are covered by the scholarship:
1. Hybrid Cloud
- Platform and Developer Productivity for the Hybrid Cloud
- Next-generation cloud infrastructure technologies
- Advanced CMOS and packaging technologies
2. Quantum Computing / Quantum Systems
- Theory and Applications
3. Artificial Intelligence
- Foundation Models and Self-Supervised Learning Approaches
- Human-centered AI
- Measuring AI
- Generative AI
4. Cloud / Open Source Technologies
- Research on the intersections of emerging and cutting-edge technologies, such as cloud computing, artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning, and quantum computing, or technologies that interact with these capabilities; the development of sociotechnical strategies that positively change society; and the datasets, technologies, processes, and infrastructures involved in computation.ScholarshipBoard
5. Security / Cyber Security
- Designing for security and compliance in niche areas or across the stack
- Use of Advanced Cryptographic Techniques
- Decentralized Trust Technologies
Number of Scholarships: Not stated
A highly selective group of PhD candidates who are conducting research in subjects related to IBM’s technology goals.IBM PhD Scholarship 2023 Application, Eligibility, How To Apply
IBM Ph.D. Scholarship Values and Inclusions
The 2023 IBM PhD Fellowships are awarded worldwide, with the amount varying according to the country in which the university is situated.
- In the United States, universities are awarded $60,000 in the first year and $35,000 in the second.
- The amount awarded to foreign countries varies from $6,000 to $25,000 every year.
Acceptance Rate: Not stated
Eligibility for the IBM Ph.D. Scholarship
The following are the requirements to apply for the IMB PhD Fellowship:
- Students need to be nominated by a doctoral faculty member; they cannot nominate themselves.
- must not lose the fellowship if they are not enrolled full-time in a Ph.D. program during the funding year.
- In order to apply for the fellowship in the final year of study, they must still have two years remaining in their program at the time of nomination.
- If they are citizens of or attend educational institutions in embargoed nations, they are not eligible for the program.
- If, during the IBM PhD Fellowship funding period, they are receiving a comparable fellowship, internship, or support from another company or institution (apart from academic scholarships), they are not eligible for this award.
- No departmental or school transfers are permitted throughout the award period; the recipient must stay in the same program.
Application Portal: Not stated
IBM Ph.D. Scholarship Step-by-Step Application Guide
Apply through the nomination link.
The 17th of January, 2023, was the deadline for applications to the IBM PhD scholarship. This year, applications are no longer being accepted.